Your engaged!! Congratulations!!!
Get ready for a barrage of questions from family & friends!
When are you get married? Where are you getting married? What are your colors? etc....
Chances are you have thought about the answers to these questions, but haven't really discussed them with your fiance and parents, so feel free to answer those questions with a simple
"We will let you know when we know!!"
Follow these first steps to start your planning off right!
1. BREATH! Take some time to be in the moment and enjoy this special time in your life!
2. Create a guest list- It is so important to know how many people you will be inviting. Give your parents a chance to go over the list and add to it, so there are no surprises down the road.
3. Discuss a budget limit- This is sooo important. Discuss with your fiance how much you will save and contribute, then schedule a time to sit down with your parents and have a serious conversation about what they can contribute. Please don't just spring this on your parents, let them know you are coming to discuss the subject. It can be a difficult conversation to have, but trust me you will feel relieved to have it out of the way at the beginning of your planning process. Make sure to discuss how the payments will be handled. You can expect to pay about half of your wedding budget at the beginning with deposits.
4. Create a budget breakdown- You will need to breakdown all your wedding expenses to determine what you can spend in each category. There are some formats you can follow online, but you will need to adjust to your area, type of venue, etc. It is best to hire a professional to help you with this.
5. Choose some dates- Get the parents and other VIP's in on this discussion. Pick a year (discussing the budget will help with this, if you need another year to save up for the wedding of your dreams!) Then decide what season you want to be married in and pick some dates that look good to you. Send those dates to your parents and possible bridal party members to be sure there are no conflicts! It's best to have a few dates in mind so your will have a better chance of getting the venue and vendors you want!
If you follow these steps before rushing out to book a venue or buy a dress you will have a much better planning experience!!!
Mindy Rossignol, owner of Private Weddings and Events based in Meredith, New Hampshire is a highly sought after Wedding and Event Planner, Designer and Coordinator. She is a Mother of two boys and a lover of Love!